Subject: Re: NetBSD-Mach?
To: None <ken@net5.co.jp>
From: Tom Rini <trini@ntplx.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/10/1996 20:20:54
On Wed, 11 Dec 1996 ken@net5.co.jp wrote:

>Well, I was talking about the following scenario:
>
>	1) I have NetBSD/mac68k (or whatever) on my box.
>	2) I build and install MK and Lites on the box.  The host
>	environment is of course NetBSD.
>	3) I boot MK/Lites on my box.  Now, do I have to re-compile
>	emacs, X server and all the clients, and everything else?
>
>If the answer to 3) was "yes", I wouldn't want Lites on my box and it
>would be worthwhile to port and build a NetBSD server that runs NetBSD
>binaries.  If "no", NetBSD server wouldn't make sense.

Welp, the 68k-lites is of course, no.  however, it wouldn't be hard to get
binary compat between say lites, mklinux, and aix (i remember something
being said about this being not to hard to do now, but i'm not sure if
that code would end up in the server, or mach) would work.

>Don't ask me why I would want to boot Mach on my box instead of NetBSD
>in the first place.  I wouldn't ;-)  I'd rather have NetBSD on my
>SH4-powered GPS car navigation box (if I buy such a thing, mind you ;-)
>than Mach personally.

Me too, but ripping, and #ifdef'ing seems easier then porting (but i'm not
a coder, so i'll be quite now)

-Tartarus

Homepage:	http://www.grayphics.com/~tartarus/
		http://www.macintosh.net/mklinux/