Subject: Re: Can't stand vi
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
From: Joshua Krage <jkrage@access.digex.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/10/1996 15:21:39
Your message dated: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 11:27:58 CST
>On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Rick C. Petty wrote:
>> slight bit slower) but doesn't have the features.  Try substituting all
>> instances of a word with another word in pico.  You just can't do it.
>I haven't figured out a simple way to do that in vi, either, but then I've

In command mode (after typing escape), type:
  :%s/old_word/new_word/g

vi's search/replace feature is based on regular expressions.  If
you've used them, or have used Perl for a while, it'll look familiar.
Its better than your classic find/replace features since you can do
some really fun stuff.  Many of the really good programmer's editors
(vi, GNU Emacs, BBEdit, Alpha, etc.) support regular expression
searchs.

Its really nice to be able to switch between Emacs and vi.  I used vi
for several years of coding, and use it by default for most text
editing on UNIX.  But I use Emacs to read my mail (using the MH mode)
and do my Perl scripting.  Haven't tried it for C code, but it has a
good reputation.  Lots of features that you normally only get in a
commercial development environment.  Not very many of those for
NetBSD. ;)

jkrage@access.digex.net         Time, precious time. Where does it all go?