Subject: Re: NetBSD-Mach?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Tom Rini <trini@ntplx.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/10/1996 14:50:53
On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Jason Thorpe wrote:

>On Mon, 9 Dec 1996 18:58:12 -0600 (CST)
> "The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood]" <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU> wrote:
>
> > Speaking of the powerpc port... is that... mature yet?  Does it run on
> > 7600's?  If so, I may not bother with MkLinux (I've always found the
> > NetBSD look-and-feel to be more pleasant somehow).
>
>NetBSD/powerpc runs on any 603 or 604 using OpenFirmware, and ELF boot
>code.  PCI Powermacs are OFW with XCOFF (or XCOFF-like) boot code.  It
>should be easy to make NetBSD/powerpc go on those boxes; note, using
>OFW for i/o, but once you've gotten the shell, the rest is easy, right? :-)

What about 601s w/ PCI?  My friend has a powercurve, any chance of
netbsd/powerpc workin on this?

>Making it go on non-OFW will be a little more work.  But, the hard parts
>are done already, really; trap handling, pmap, various bits in locore.

This would be the NuBus macs right?  Couldn't that code be ripped from the
mach kernel mklinux uses, or the linux server?

-Tartarus

Homepage:	http://www.grayphics.com/~tartarus/
		http://www.macintosh.net/mklinux/
"CS majors have better hardware."