Subject: Re: Can't stand vi
To: Rick C. Petty <pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu>
From: None <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/10/1996 11:55:21
> > I know, it's childish, but I really can't stand vi.  I've hot the src for
> Who can?

Ahem.  Please don't start _that_ war...  I'm still most comfortable in
vi.  It took a while to learn, but I can't get around any other editor
as easily or do the things that I need to do as quickly...

> > emacs but I think the Makefile needs a modification.  I haven't figured out
> > how to overwrite in vi.
>
> I don't think vi has an "overwrite" mode,

The 'R' command enters what you might call "overwrite mode," like 'i' enters
"insert mode".  ESC will get you out of either mode and back into
command mode.

> I forgot how to delete to end of line...

'D'
Also, dw will delete a word, d2w will delete two words, etc.
ma marks the current cursor position in 'register a' and d'a will then
delete lines from the current cursor position back to the position saved
in 'register a' and d`a will delete characters & lines back to that
point (deleting partial lines as necessary).  You can also save cut data
into buffers "cd'a (delete into buffer 'c' from here to marked position
'a') or "ay'a (yank (copy) instead of delete) or "a4yy (yank the current
and next three lines into buffer 'a').  You can then put from buffers: "cp
(put from buffer 'c' after the current position) or "cP (put from buffer
'c' before the current position).

Anyway, once you get used to it, vi is quick and powerful.  Emacs is
more powerful, but I haven't found a need for it, yet.  Then again,
I've only been working on unix-like systems for 10 years or so...  ;-)

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com