Subject: Re: Can't stand vi
To: Matthew Pritzker <plague@itek.net>
From: Rick C. Petty <pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/10/1996 09:30:13
On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, Matthew Pritzker wrote:

> I know, it's childish, but I really can't stand vi.  I've hot the src for

Who can?  But that doesn't stop me from using it.  I've gotten to know vi
and emacs very close and personal.  The problem with emacs is it's
interpreted and thus very slow.  I use vi when I'm making quick changes,
and emacs when I'm programming.  Emacs has nice program-editing features.

> emacs but I think the Makefile needs a modification.  I haven't figured out
> how to overwrite in vi.

I don't think vi has an "overwrite" mode, but you can substitute text by
using the change command, "c".  Read the man pages for vi, ex, and ed.
Or you could do what I do: type "x" repeatedly (or a number then "x") to
remove the character under the cursor, then insert.  I forgot how to
delete to end of line...

>  What I would _really_ like is pico.  I haven't

That's too bad.  pico isn't a great editor.  It has the speed of vi (a
slight bit slower) but doesn't have the features.  Try substituting all
instances of a word with another word in pico.  You just can't do it.
Pico and tcsh use some emacs command-keys for editing, but emacs allows
you to remap keys to other commands, etc.  Therefore you could make emacs
look a lot like vi, with additional features.

And don't even get me started on scheme or lisp...  (GNU rocks!)

> found the src anywhere (but with my luck I'd have to edit its files as
> well).

The source for pico comes with pine.  Try:
ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/pine.tar.Z

>  If anyone has pico, would you be willing to gzip and uuencode the
> binary app and email it to me?  That would save me a hundred headaches.

That's funny-- pico GIVES me a hundred headaches!

--Rick C. Petty,  aka Snoopy                <h1><blink>I hate Netscape!
SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer  http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/
pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com