Subject: Re: NetBSD-Mach?
To: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@glue.umd.edu>
From: Rob Pelkey <mercutio@rpelkey.bates.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/09/1996 23:13:40
On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, Christopher R. Bowman wrote:

> I believe you are correct on putting GNU GPL code into {Net,Free,Open}BSD,
> but it seems that taking {Net,Free,Open}BSD code and using it in GNU code
> and thus making derivatives of that GNU also is a perfectly valid thing to
> do, and thus follows the insideousness of the GPL (if you happend to
> believe it is, I don't want to debate this point)

It may be perfectly valid, but it's prohibited.  :-)

The GPL requires that "when you distribute the same sections as part of a
whole which is a work based on the Program, the distribution of the whole
must be on the terms of this License" (article 2) - in other words,
including one piece of GPL code brings the entire program in which it's
included under the GPL.

The requirements in a BSD-style copyright that the original authors be
credited in any product packaging and/or advertisement for derivative
works constitutes an additional restriction on the right of the program's
recipient to redistribute the program over and above the restrictions
already contained in the GPL.  Such additional restrictions on the are
prohibited under the GPL (article 6); including code with such
restrictions thus terminates the rights that the GPL grants you to modify
or redistribute the program.

Of course, I'm no legal expert...  but if anyone has further questions
on this topic, I'll be glad to answer them to the best of my knowledge.

							Rob

--
<!--  Rob Pelkey <rpelkey@bates.edu> - http://www.bates.edu/~rpelkey/  -->
<!--  Professional Web Dude                 "God is dead" - Nietzsche  -->