Subject: Re: NetBSD-Mach?
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
From: Tom Rini <trini@ntplx.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/09/1996 16:12:43
On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] wrote:

>1.	Is anyone working on/planning to work on a port of NetBSD to
>Mach3?

Not that i know of, but i've talked to nick stephens about this before,
and he said that porting it over would have been easier then linux (still
a whole lota fun though)

>2.	Are the hardware-dependant sections of NetBSD's code essentially
>all in one section, or are there a number of #ifdefs scattered throughout
>the code?

You'd need to make its own arch of course,  but some of it should work
form the arch/mac68k, and other bits from arch/powerpc (pci only).

>3.	What major sections would have to be replaced by Mach calls other
>than the video display code, ADB code, MMU code, and SCSI code?  How bad
>would the MMU part be?

Hmm, i think thats all.

>And yes, I'm looking at the NetBSD sources right now.  I've kinda come to
>the conclusion that the biggest pains would be in finding a way to start
>it from mach, and in finding a way to beta test without a second booting
>MkLinux partition.  That and pounding the Linux ext2fs code in for obvious
>reasons.

Well, you don't need a second booting partition to use the multi-server
part of mach.  You can run it off a zip untill it out grow that.  Just
need to find an fs that both linux and netbsd can read.  You may also
wanto look though the mklinux src, and join
mklinux-developer-system@mklinux.apple.com.  I remeber someone asking
about doing something like this to FreeBSD before, and I took a quick stab
at Lites (don't know much C, so it died fast)

-Tartarus

Homepage:	http://www.grayphics.com/~tartarus/
		http://www.macintosh.net/mklinux/
"CS majors have better hardware."