Subject: NetBSD-Mach?
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/09/1996 13:55:55
I'm curious.  I know somebody has a Lites-based server out there to run on
top of the Mach3 Microkernel (of MkLinux fame), which brings a few
questions to mind:

1.	Is anyone working on/planning to work on a port of NetBSD to
Mach3?

2.	Are the hardware-dependant sections of NetBSD's code essentially
all in one section, or are there a number of #ifdefs scattered throughout
the code?

3.	What major sections would have to be replaced by Mach calls other
than the video display code, ADB code, MMU code, and SCSI code?  How bad
would the MMU part be?

And yes, I'm looking at the NetBSD sources right now.  I've kinda come to
the conclusion that the biggest pains would be in finding a way to start
it from mach, and in finding a way to beta test without a second booting
MkLinux partition.  That and pounding the Linux ext2fs code in for obvious
reasons.

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |