Subject: Re: stupid cross compiling question
To: None <usman@nwu.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/07/1996 11:42:16
> Hi: a simple question about the the cross-compiling
> how-to document:
>
> All those steps concerning re-building gcc and bmake
> and utilities and include files... is all that necessary
> only for building the netbsd kernel?
>
> I guess my question is: say I want to build emacs
> for NetBSD/mac68k on HP-UX; do I need to follow all those
> steps and actually install and configure a whole new
> development environment on the HP-UX?

I think you definitely need to re-do gcc and the binutils as otherwise
you can't generate m68k output. gcc gets configured for a certain kind of
output when you build it, so to change the output type, you need a new
gcc. I think you will also need the include files as otherwise
Emacs might not be able to configure itself for use under NetBSD.

Good luck!

Bill