Subject: Re: can't write to filesystem
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/06/1996 11:55:06
At 11:25 AM 12/6/96, "The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood]"
<davagatw@mars.utm.edu wrote:

>Are you _sure_ that's really sd4a?  Remember that unused SCSI id #'s
>aren't counted.  i.e. sd4 is the fourth target, not the 4th ID, so if you
>have an internal on id 0, a CD ROM on id 3, and an external on ID 4, the
>internal is sd0, the CD ROM is sd1, and the external is sd2... or are CD
>ROM drives counted separately... cd0, cd1, cd2, etc... I forget.

Actually its    SCSI 0 -> sd0
                SCSI 3 -> cd0
                SCSI 4 -> sd1
for the example you give.

There used to be a discrapancy between what the installer did (which used
to be what you describe) and what BSD itself did that would trip up anyone
with a low IDed CD-ROM drive.  That's been fixed for some time.