Subject: Re: Mounting /usr in Install Utility
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/06/1996 11:33:05

> On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Robert Nestor wrote:
>
> > NetBSD partitions must be "Root&Usr" type to be found and used.
>
> Actually, this isn't quite true.  On one of my machines, for example, I
> create the following partitions with a patched version of Apple HD SC
> Setup 7.3.2 (the patch is the one available on at least the umich mirrors,
> and probably the Info-Mac mirrors as well).
>
> a:    20480K A/UX Root slice 0
> b:    49014K A/UX Swap slice 1
> e:    31859K A/UX Usr slice 2
> f: 284281.5K A/UX Usr slice 2
>
> As you can see, I don't even have a "Root & Usr slice 0" on my system. :-)
>
> As for why simplying doing a `mkdir /usr' and then trying to mount it is
> failing, that's probably because you have the wrong slice type for the
> /usr partition.

One other problem is that the disklabel code is sensitive to the mount flags
in the partition info. I had a formatter at first which corrupted the flags
(these are A/UX-specific flags, not normal MacOS partitioning flags),
so my /usr partition wouldn't work. I had to manually go in and reset the
flags to get it to work (and since I copied "root" flags, it comes up as
sd1e, not sd1g :-)

Take care,

Bill