Subject: Re: can't write to filesystem
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matthew Pritzker <plague@itek.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/06/1996 13:46:38
>On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, Matthew Pritzker wrote:
>
>> I just got NetBSD up and running on my IIsi-- sort of.  When it comes up
>> and fsck auto-runs,  I get a message about:
>>
>> /dev/rsd4a: Device not configured
>> fsck: RUN FSCK MANUALLY
>
>Are you _sure_ that's really sd4a?  Remember that unused SCSI id #'s
>aren't counted.  i.e. sd4 is the fourth target, not the 4th ID, so if you
>have an internal on id 0, a CD ROM on id 3, and an external on ID 4, the
>internal is sd0, the CD ROM is sd1, and the external is sd2... or are CD
>ROM drives counted separately... cd0, cd1, cd2, etc... I forget.

I have SCSIProbe open right now and here's what it shows:

SCSI#0  Quantum HD (my MacOS drive)
SCSI#1
SCSI#2
SCSI#3  NEC CD-ROM
SCSI#4  NEC CD-ROM
SCSI#5  Zip Drive
SCSI#6  Quantum HD (my NetBSD drive)
SCSI#7  Macintosh IIsi

I assume 0 is sd0, 3 is sd1, 4 is sd2, 5 is sd3, and 6 is sd4.

Just to be sure I went back into NetBSD and got the message word for word:

Automatic boot in progress: starting file system checks.
Can't open /dev/rsd4a: Device not configured
/dev/rsd4a: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM
/dev/rsd4a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY

When I try to run fsck manually (after getting message or after rebooting
in single-user mode) I just get the line:

Can't open /dev/rsd4a: Device not configured

That's it.  Anyway what's the difference between sd4a and rsd4a?

Matthew Pritzker          plague@itek.net
Physicist for Hire        http://www.itek.net/~plague