Subject: Re: 040 powerbook kernel?
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
From: Peter Kelm <kelm@physik.TU-Berlin.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/06/1996 19:49:58
On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, Scott Reynolds wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Steven Campbell wrote:
>
> > Hi, I have a PowerBook 520c, and was wondering if anyone else has had any
> > luck with kernels for the 040 based PowerBooks.
>
> A little.  Using a serial console (for the moment) will help, but you will
> still get bitten by the LC040 floating point emulation bug.  (The "hang"
> may well be fixed with a direct ADB driver.)
>
> --scott

OK, to make the situation a little clearer:

On The PB5{2,4}0(C) ADB WORKS if you are using ADBTEST#164 patches
available on ftp.macbsd.com. Scott is right in his statement on the LC040
(even considering that he was working on this (alone?)). So you do not
need a serial console. But the macine is not usable in any way as long as
the LC040 FPU emulator bug is not fixed. It bombs me out far too often
(segmentation faults). X is _not_ working at all for it cannot find any
screens.

I was working on a PB5x0(c) kernel some weeks ago but at the moment I am
working too busy on my diploma thesis to take a closer look at the
sources. Maybe (?) I can do something at the end of december. But dont
rely on it...

Scott, I hope this keeps you from answering annoying questions on and on a
little :-)

Bye
Peter

         --- beam me up Scotty, this planet sucks ---
                                                        Plan B
Peter Kelm (kelm@physik.tu-berlin.de)

Technical University Berlin
Physics Department