Subject: Re: Installation CD
To: Giovanni Botta <botta@rigel.li.it>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/06/1996 11:20:33
On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, Giovanni Botta wrote:

> How many probabilities can I have to get NetBSD working (with X also...)
> on a Quadra 610? (gimme some hope)

Does that have a full 68040 or a 68LC040?  If it's the full 040, there's a
strong possibility that NetBSD itself will run, but I don't think X will
until some additional driver support is put into the kernel for it (grf0
not configured problems).  If it's an LC040, it will basically half-way
work for shell stuff, again X is still in the works for them.  The lack of
the floating point capability will cause some programs to fail, others
won't care.  Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV).

Regardless, I'm fairly new to this list, comparatively anyway, and I
remember when the IIsi (030) was serial console only, so... things are
progressing nicely.  I have no doubt that, given some more hacking on FPU
code and graphics drivers (and CUDA, hopefully), the 040 macs (and LC040)
will eventually become quite viable platforms for NetBSD.

Hope that answers your question,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |