Subject: Re: Help! PPP!
To: Qaz <marco@coos.dartmouth.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/05/1996 06:15:32
On Wed, 4 Dec 1996, Qaz wrote:

> I am working on getting PPP working on my 630..  I made the tty00 and
> tty01, and set up the alias for pppd..

Alias?  What alias?

> But I need to know what else i
> have to do..  Things like setting up things  like the DNS ip, hostname
> and such..

Yep - you gotta take care of /etc/myname /etc/hosts /etc/resolv.conf
/etc/defaultdomain as a minimum.  And you gotta set up your /etc/ppp/options
file.

> Currently, when i connect the modem dials, does all its
> stuff and then i get this..

> Connect script failed
> Connect script failed
> Unable to delete pid file : is a dir

That sounds to me as though pppd doesn't know what it should be naming
its pid file - it should be /var/run/pp0.pid

I recommend getting one of the ppp kits from puma.  I put one together a
while ago that Bill Studenmund packaged up and posted, and recently I put
together a newer kit that includes dial-on-demand stuff.  I can't
remember the exact location for the older kit, but the newer one can be
found at:

  ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/private/pgoyette/pppd/ppp-dod.tgz

> I need to know where to set these things..
> Thanks in advance.

See the list of files above...