Subject: Re: booting on 630!!
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/03/1996 19:06:49
>I've seen reference to this before.  Could someone explain please?  I've
>used the A/UX 3.0 formatter with both 1.2 and a pre-1.0 version and had no
>problem.

Unless the formatter is actually doing the disk partition initialization
normally done by "mkfs", I can't see what difference it makes either.  As
far as mkfs is concerned it just needs a disk partition map entry to find
the physical space on disk allocated to the NetBSD partition(s).  With
minor changes it can use *any* disk partition and scribble BSD FileSystem
stuff all over it.  There are no flags or definitions in the Partition
Map that specifically indicate the partition is an AU/X 2.0 or AU/X 3.0,
just a flag that says it's an AU/X type partition.  Neither version of
mkfs looks for an AU/X version number in the Partition Name field, and in
fact the newest mkfs rewites the name to be something like "NetBSD Root &
Usr" or "NetBSD Swap".

Maybe someone else can provide information on this AU/X version that
explains what some people are seeing.

-bob