Subject: Re: Quadras working?
To: Tartarus , Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/03/1996 13:21:02
At 2:42 PM 12/3/96, Tartarus wrote:
>The C610 is an LC040, but the Q610 is an 040 I think.  Also, it runs on a
>Q630 now.

It's actually a lot more complicated than that.  Most C610's had LC040's,
but there was a high-end version that had a regular 040.  Likewise most
C650's had regular 040's, but there was a low-end version that had an
LC040.

Does any 610 have motherboard Ethernet?  I seem to recall that the low-end
650 was also missing the chips on the motherboard for Ethernet.  There was
a connection there somewhere in any case.  Figuring out the feature set was
so complicated and confusing that Apple just decided all 650's were full
040's (and all 610's were LC040's) when they relabeled them as Quadra's.
Maybe before.

The other change in the Centris/Quadra transition that I know of was the
replacement of the auto-inject floppy with the current standard
manual-inject model.

This makes FAQ writing interesting, no?