Subject: Re: booting on 630!!
To: Mamoru Yamanishi <yama@radical.biotech.okayama-u.ac.jp>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/03/1996 12:57:33
>> I forget who built it, but libm-nomc68881 allows my C610 (with 'LC040) to
>> run without these core dumps.  It is way out of date with -current, but
>> it seems to work OK, and I'll stick it on eskimo when I upload a new
>> snapshot tomorrow.

>With exception of memory amount, it is the only difference between
>Quadra630 and Performa630 that FPU is on CPU or not[?]
>
>Are there any other differences?

I can't say if it's the only difference, but its probably be the most
important one for the problems you list.

With a full 68040 you are using the FPSP support in the kernel which is
based on code provided by Motorola.  With a 68LC040 you are using the FPE
(Floating Point Emulator) written by Ken Nakata for MacBSD.  FPE is
probably still a bit buggy, at least on 68040's and has the main advantage
of just allowing the kernel to boot at all.

Once you are up you can use the libm-nomc68881 mentioned above and again
provided by Ken.  It is based on GNU code and is probably pretty reliable.
It's also probably a touch faster since it gets called directly instead of
through interrupt service routines.

I believe Ken Nakata is the person currently posting from ken@net5.co.jp.
If he corrects me on any of these points then believe him, not me ;-)