Subject: Re: booting on 630!!
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/03/1996 20:43:54
On Tue, 3 Dec 1996, Colin Wood wrote:

> The usual recommendation is to have swap = 2 * RAM.  However, I have
> about 28 MB of RAM at the moment and only 20 MB or so of swap.  As soon
> as I get a new drive, I'll probably up the swap to the full 56 MB or so
> that it "should" be.  Keep in mind though, that with 36 MB of RAM, you
> have to be doing a lot of stuff to make it swap (of course, running X
> tends to count as a "lot of stuff" ;-)

	IIRC NetBSD uses lazy swap allocation, so no longer requires the
	swap = 2 * ram rules of 'more traditional' unix.

	This leaves us with a simple 'more is better' rule :) - if you're
	running X on an 8mb machine you certainly want more than 16mb of
	swap!

	Use 'pstat -s' to check what your swap usage is, then load the
	machine up with as much as you'll ever want running and then some
	- if you're more than 2/3 of memory+swap used,  start thinking
	about adding more. (Be warned, NetBSD handles totally running out
	of memory _very_ poorly :)

		David/abs	david@{mono.org,southern.com,mhm-internet.com}

System Manager: Southern Studios Ltd, PO Box 59, London N22 1AR.
Satisfied User: NetBSD, free Un*x {i386,sparc,mac68k,+more} 'www.netbsd.org'.
  System Admin: MHM Internet, 14 Barley Mow Passage, Chiswick, London W4 4PH.
         SysOP: Monochrome, Largest UK Internet BBS - 'telnet mono.org'.