Subject: Re: advice on upgrading to 1.2
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Joel Klecker <jk@esperance.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/03/1996 07:23:16
>Is there a way I can do a seperate completely clean install of 1.2 ON
>THE SAME DISK as my 1.1? That is, w/out overwriting it? I have enough
>disk space (I think) - 450+ MB free, but I'm not sure if the
>partitioning will allow what I'm suggesting. Basically, all of the free
>space is on the /usr (g) partition. Unfortunately, I don't have access
>to another disk.
Here's how I did it. I copied all the tarballs onto my /usr partition,
booted single user and used the a command line similar to the following
"cd /;tar xzpf /tmp{base12,misc12,text12,comp12,man12}.tar.gz --unlink",
don't do this with etc12.tar.gz though(unless you want to wipe out your
passwd file and your other settings). This will overwrite the 1.1 files
with the 1.2 versions, booting single user will ensure that all files (Q:
Does this update binaries currently in use(i.e. /bin/sh or /bin/csh)?) can
be updated.

--
Joel Klecker <mailto:jk@esperance.com> <http://www.esperance.com/>
Maintainer of the comp.sys.mac.comm FAQ