Subject: advice on upgrading to 1.2
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/03/1996 08:49:15
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 1996 22:22:14 +0000
From: Avram Dorfman <dorfman@est.org>
To: NetBSD/Mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
Subject: help/advise on upgrading to 1.2

Can someone please give me some help on how to upgrade my netbsd from
1.1+ to 1.2? I am not currently "sup"ing any sources, and I don't really
understand even how to do that. I just have the straight binary 1.1
tarballs installed, but with a newer kernel.

I'd like to set myself up so that I can "sup" in the future. If someone
can explain how that works, I'd appreciate it. What I'm really looking
for though, is a plan on how I can install 1.2 w/out destroying my 1.1
installation. I have a bunch of extra stuff added on (usual stuff like
perl, httpd, etc) and I don't want to lose that or my basic
configuration.

Is there a way I can do a seperate completely clean install of 1.2 ON
THE SAME DISK as my 1.1? That is, w/out overwriting it? I have enough
disk space (I think) - 450+ MB free, but I'm not sure if the
partitioning will allow what I'm suggesting. Basically, all of the free
space is on the /usr (g) partition. Unfortunately, I don't have access
to another disk.

If this is impossible, then what's the safest way to upgrade in-place,
minimizing risk of leaving yourself w/ an unbootable machine?

Please help!

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com