Subject: Re: booting on 630!!
To: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: Mamoru Yamanishi <yama@radical.biotech.okayama-u.ac.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/03/1996 19:26:41
> I forget who built it, but libm-nomc68881 allows my C610 (with 'LC040) to
> run without these core dumps.  It is way out of date with -current, but
> it seems to work OK, and I'll stick it on eskimo when I upload a new
> snapshot tomorrow.

Thanks.

GENERIC-12 kernel can be bootable on Quadra 630, but seems unstable when
booting 832x624 mode.

I tested GENERIC_77 kernel on Quadra630 with 832x624 video mode.
It seemed to boot without trouble, but caused sevier errors.
At first, I met Input/Output error.  Next, I met "esp0" related errors.
What is "esp0"?

Once after this errors, booting were in failure.

I reminded where are 'GENERIC-??' kernels, and found GENERIC-13.
I also tested it on Quadra 630. In contrast, it can work without such
troubles.

I also tested both kernels on Performa 630.
In contrast with Quadra630, Performa630 did not give got result.
I think the result seemed almost the same as GENERIC-12 kernel;
rather stable?

        "mount" command dumps while booting.

        At most time, I can log in.  Some commands work without
        any problems.

        There were the commands occasionally made core dump.

        "ls -l" command made core dump, while "ls -l *" was safe.

I tested with 640x480 and 832x624, B&W and 256 color mode.

By the way, "df" cannot work properly on P630; P630 cannot calculate
% of diskspace.  On the contrary, Q630 caluculate properly.

I checked the performance with "dhrystone2.1".  While Q630
showed the result, P630 could not show the result.  I wonder the
reason might be the same as that of "df".

With exception of memory amount, it is the only difference between
Quadra630 and Performa630 that FPU is on CPU or not.

Are there any other differences?

Mamoru Yamanishi <yama@radical.biotech.okayama-u.ac.jp>
+81-86-251-8196(voice), +81-86-253-7399(GIII fax)
Dept. Biotechnology, Okayama Univ.