Subject: Re: booting on 630!!
To: Jane A. Buskey <marco@coos.dartmouth.edu>
From: Mamoru Yamanishi <yama@radical.biotech.okayama-u.ac.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/03/1996 10:01:38
Hi, Jane

> I am not able too run NetBSD on my Quadra630 either. mkfs tells me that
>the IDE drive may have caused the problem, but i am not useing it for
>anything involveing BSD.
> The error is within the NetBSD/Mac Installer, when run it asks me to
>select the SCSI ID of the A/UX partition, I select the ID of the drive
>that was formatted A/UX root&usr slice 0 and it then gives me the error..
> Could not boot root. IS this because of the IDE drive?? Is there any way
>i can get around this or is anyone working on fixing this?  If so please
>mail back.

I am not sure the result.

I heard that the following cases likly cause failure:

        1)      ID of external SCSI disk is other than 0.

                if so, please try ID=0.

        2)      Mac partition is the first.

                if so, please try:
                The first partition should be "A/UX root&user slice 0" or
                "root slice".  The second should be "swap". Mac partiton
                should be absent or the last partition.

                My partition map is
                        A/UX root & user slice 0        176 Mb
                        Swap                             40 Mb
                        HFS                              ca. 41Mb
                and each partitions are placed on this sequence.

Mamoru Yamanishi <yama@radical.biotech.okayama-u.ac.jp>
+81-86-251-8196(voice), +81-86-253-7399(GIII fax)
Dept. Biotechnology, Okayama Univ.