Subject: Re: Quadras working?
To: synapse <synapse@gim.net>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/02/1996 20:38:00
> I have a friend that is thinking about running MacBSD on his Quadra 700,
> another who might want to run on his 840AV, another on his Quadra 700 or
> Centris 610. can someone post the working models list to the mailing list?
> (or to me - i know it's on the web, but it's a pain for me to get there),
> i've heard some talk about quadras recently...is there any aspect of MacBSD
> that still needs to be fixed to work properly on Quadras? (i already know
> about the Apple sound chip missing in the AV models)
> by the way, does the MacBSD project intend to support internal floppy disk
> drives? sometimes i really wish there was a function like it...
> thanks!

The current machine-status document is located (temporarily) at:

http://is.rice.edu/~ender/macbsd/machine-status/machine-status.1.2-current

However, I haven't updated it since Allen managed to get the new SCSI
driver integrated, so it doesn't note the fact that many of the
'040-based macs are now working.  I had hoped to have time to get it
finished this past weekend, but schoolwork keeps rearing its ugly head.
I'll see if I can get it updated soon.  (Don't worry, I'm aware that
quite a few things are out of date.  I should have time before much
longer.  Just one more big deadline to go ;-)

Anyway, from what I have gleaned, the Q700 and the C610 should run
relatively well (unless the 610 has an 'LC040, in which case it might not
be too stable).  The 840AV might still have some other problems.

Someone had worked on an older MFS floppy drive driver, but there is
still no FDHD floppy driver driver (and since the chip that controls it
is a custom Apple design, I doubt there will be one anytime soon )-:

I hope this clears some things up.

Later.