Subject: Re: Got X working in color, yay...plus some more questions.
To: Dinsdale Piranha <dinsdale@vegas.infi.net>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/02/1996 17:42:32
On Sun, 1 Dec 1996, Dinsdale Piranha wrote:

> root at sd1a swap at sd1b
>
> This is a little alarming to me, since my one and only MacOS partition is
> on the same drive as my root&usr and swap partitions.  The thing that pops
> into my head is "Hey, wait a minute...isn't sd1b my *MAC* PARTITION?!" and
> then panic ensues as I sit dreading the possibility that it's going to try
> and write swap data to my MacOS partition, thereby destroying it (thought
> it hasn't yet, and I'm certain MacBSD *must* have swapped at *some* point
> by now).  So, my question is this: is there any way to find out for sure
> which dev (it's gotta be either sd1b or sd1c) is my swap and which is my
> MacOS?  This is something about which I can never be too careful, so...

Don't know if anybody answered this, but the mapping changed a while back.
The sd partition letters now only refer to the ones that are A/UX
partitions.  MacOS partitions are skipped.  This eliminates the need for
the A/UX stuff to be in the first 8 partitions like it used to require.
Of course, if anybody gets in-kernel HFS working, that will have to change
back....  There ought to be a better answer, like creating a new type, say
hd for HFS Disk, with the same mapping scheme as the sd's use, except only
map the HFS partitions, instead of only mapping in the A/UX partitions.
Thoughts?

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |