Subject: Re: Got X working in color, yay...plus some more questions.
To: Dinsdale Piranha <dinsdale@vegas.infi.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/02/1996 10:41:45
> 1).  I *STILL* can't exit X smoothly.  Everything is default/fresh as it
> was when I installed, except I edited xinitrc a little bit to position my
> xterms and xclock the way I like it on startup (but that shouldn't affect
> anything), and replaced the original X server with the latest color one.
> Anyway, getting back to my point, when I select "Exit" from twm's popup
> menu, it just quits twm only, leaving a bunch of borderless xterms (and an
> xclock, natch) floating in space.  I can still type in them and stuff, and
> switch between them, but I can't move them or anything since there's no
> window manager running.  Usually what I do at this point is ps in one of
> the xterms, then go and kill each x-related process one by one (this
> doesn't feel right to me, and it doesn't work too smooth either, usually
> resulting in crashes, coredumps, all sorts of nasty stuff).  Can anyone
> help a complete and total X-newbie figure out how to quit the damn thing
> and get back to the regular unix prompt the *right* way?  :)

Is "Exit" supposed to exit X, or just twm? My experience is that it
just quits the window manager.

Make sure the last line in your xinitrc launches an xterm in the
foreground, and put "Quit me to exit" in its title. Then, to exit X,
just quit that xterm.

> 2).  This new kernel I'm using for color (Taras' GENERIC 961024) does
> something I never noticed before while booting; it puts up a line saying
> something to the effect of:
>
> root at sd1a swap at sd1b
>
> This is a little alarming to me, since my one and only MacOS partition is
> on the same drive as my root&usr and swap partitions.  The thing that pops
> into my head is "Hey, wait a minute...isn't sd1b my *MAC* PARTITION?!" and
> then panic ensues as I sit dreading the possibility that it's going to try
> and write swap data to my MacOS partition, thereby destroying it (thought
> it hasn't yet, and I'm certain MacBSD *must* have swapped at *some* point
> by now).  So, my question is this: is there any way to find out for sure
> which dev (it's gotta be either sd1b or sd1c) is my swap and which is my
> MacOS?  This is something about which I can never be too careful, so...

That's NOT your MacOS partition. Use disklabel /dev/sd1c to see the
partition layout for that drive. Normally, sdXa is the root partition,
sdXb the swap, sdXc the whole disk, and sdX[d-h] vary.

The layout changes when you have only one MacOS partition. I think the
disklabel reading code puts the one MacOS partition on sdXb for some
obscure reason.

Take care,

Bill