Subject: Re: Got X working in color, yay...plus some more questions.
To: Dinsdale Piranha <dinsdale@vegas.infi.net>
From: Nathan Parrish <nparrish@best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/02/1996 09:57:44
> 1).  I *STILL* can't exit X smoothly.  Everything is default/fresh as it
> was when I installed, except I edited xinitrc a little bit to position my
> xterms and xclock the way I like it on startup (but that shouldn't affect
> anything), and replaced the original X server with the latest color one.
> Anyway, getting back to my point, when I select "Exit" from twm's popup
> menu, it just quits twm only, leaving a bunch of borderless xterms (and an
> xclock, natch) floating in space.  I can still type in them and stuff, and
> switch between them, but I can't move them or anything since there's no
> window manager running.  Usually what I do at this point is ps in one of
> the xterms, then go and kill each x-related process one by one (this
> doesn't feel right to me, and it doesn't work too smooth either, usually
> resulting in crashes, coredumps, all sorts of nasty stuff).  Can anyone
> help a complete and total X-newbie figure out how to quit the damn thing
> and get back to the regular unix prompt the *right* way?  :)

hrmm, I've always set up xdm on my systems, but I think the same principle
applies wrt to startup files (.xsession vs. .xinitrc).  that principle being
that you want to run everything in the background except the last process,
which you exec, so that it becomes THE process that controls the session.
for instance:
xclock &
xconsole &
exec twm

exec replaces the current process w/ twm, rather than forking a new process,
so when you exit twm, you should find yourself back at the shell.
I think.
let me know if this doesn't work.

nathan