Subject: Re: Good ol' Mac II and PMMU...
To: Solipsist Nation <mute@ma.ultranet.com>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/02/1996 00:27:00
On Sat, 30 Nov 1996, Solipsist Nation wrote:

> When I run the booter, it gives me the "You need a 68020 and 68851 PMMU..."
> error. ("Orange Whip?") I popped the case and took a look-- there's a
> socket marked "68851" with a black Apple chip installed.

That would be the custom Apple memory management IC -- the AMU.  As you
suspected, it needs to be replaced by a 68851 PMMU.  I'm sorry I don't
have sources, but it's come up in the list at least a couple times in the
last year.  (Is there a fully-indexed mailing list archive engine around
somewhere? *sigh*)

--scott