Subject: Re: pppd problem...
To: synapse <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu (Bill Studenmund), synapse@gim.net>
From: Monroe Williams <monroe@pobox.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/01/1996 22:16:22
At 8:53 PM -0800 12/1/96, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>> okay, ppp works great now. no problems at all.
>> to disconnect, people to tell me to kill ppp, so i look it up in the
>> process table and kill it. "kill -9 <pid-of-pppd>". i manually reset the
>> modem by shutting it off and turning it back on.
[...]
>As someone (Bob or Paul) mentioned, I think it's that pppd isn't cleaning
>up after itself.

Well, if you 'kill -9' it, there's no way it _can_ get a chance to clean
up after itself.  Programs can't catch signal 9 at all.  Try using
'kill -TERM' instead -- it should be able to catch that signal and terminate
gracefully.  It used to work for me.  (Unfortunately, I'm now using an ISP
that only provides SLIP dialups.  Is it just me, or is the NetBSD slip
client bloody uncivilized?  It can't even figure out when the line goes
down...)

-- monroe