Subject: Could somebody help me find a kernel that will boot?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Condon <david@trouble.wariat.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/01/1996 20:13:42
Hi,

I believe the problem I am having is due to the well-known ethernet/video
conflict. I have an SE/30 with a somewhat unusual configuration:

Daystar 50 Mhz accelerator (original CPU replacement)
Lapis ProColor Server/8 PDS video card
Asante MacCon Si/SE/30 PDS Ethernet card
20 MB RAM
Total of 4 SCSI hard drives, one 500 MB is partitioned root&usr and swap
for MacBSD

All this rebuilt inside a PC tower case to accomodate the two PDS cards (the
video is "piggybacked" on the ethernet).

Given the difficulties of physically putting together this setup (which works
a treat under MacOS) it is not at all practical to remove the ethernet card
in order to boot MacBSD.

With all recent kernels (1.1, 1.2, I have tried just about every variation
and test kernel that has been announced) I get this:

*************

[ preserving 292135 bytes of netbsd symbol table ]
Bootstrapping NetBSD/mac68k.
Getting mapping from MNU.
System RAM: 20971520 bytes in 5120 pages.
        Low = 0x0, high = 0x400000
        Low = 0x400000, high = 0x5000000
  no internal video at address 0 -- videoaddr is 0xf9000004.
Done.
Bootstrapping the pmap system.
Pmap bootstrapped.
Moving ROMBase from 0x40800000 to 0x9f5000.
Video address 0xf90000004 -> 0xbf5004.

******************

And at this point it hangs. I always disable the Daystar accel before booting
MacBSD, and this worked fine with kernels prior to 1.1.

Before adding the ethernet to the setup, I had been successfully using a
1.0A kernel dated October 23, 1995. When trying this kernel now, it hangs
much later in the boot process. The line describing the ethernet card is
printed, and then it hangs.

I know that there are other people hampered with the ethernet/video conflict.
This has been with us for a long time now. I would really like to try to work
on helping to solve it, if I could just get ONE working kernel to boot, I
could start building and testing kernels. Is it possible that somebody has
built a kernel with all the ethernet bits disabled, or hacked out with a
machete, that
would just bypass the conflict. If not, would somebody consider making one for
me and the other people with this problem?

Thanks to anybody that heeds this plaintive call!

--
        "I'd say you people already suffer from full denial."
                                                -- Special Agent Mulder