Subject: Re: SE/30, ethernet, PPP
To: Nicholas Riley <nriley@tiac.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/01/1996 16:25:42
> Will installing an ethernet card in the SE/30, attaching the modem, and
> using it as a PPP/ethernet gateway give me much better performance than
> what I got with the VICOM Internet Gateway and LocalTalk under MacOS, (2400
> bps if I was very lucky)?  And does anyone know of an ethernet card,
> currently being produced or not, that both works with NetBSD and allows you
> to connect another card to it (my video card)?

Great oogly moogly! 2400 bits per second? I HOPE we can beat that! I
typically run my 14.4k modem at 38.4k, and get almost 1440 bytes/sec
when downloading gzipped files.

> Thanks in advance for any ideas, or if someone can suggest a better way of
> doing this.

I think you have two options, probably only one of which you'll like.

1) Get an ethernet card w/ an extra card plug, as you mentioned, so you
can have the video too. I don't know of any of these beasts.

2) Get into driver writing and work on a SCSI EtherNet interface. Someone
found the SCSI commands one company uses, so there's a start. :-) It's
not here now, but it would work if you can't find an Ether card which
supports your video also. And then I can buy one of the same SCSI interfaces
and wire up my IIsi (whose one slot has a video card also). :-)

Good luck!

Bill