Subject: Re: Macintosh IIfx
To: Rob Pelkey <mercutio@rpelkey.bates.edu>
From: Jonathan Lennox <lennox@cs.columbia.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/01/1996 02:30:43
On Wed, November 27 1996, "Rob Pelkey" wrote to "port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG" saying:

> On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Scott Reynolds wrote:
>
> There exists a control panel, "Serial Switch", which turns off the IOP for
> the serial chips for compatibility with older drivers which accessed the
> hardware directly - it sets a location in the PRAM which apparently
> affects how the startup code in ROM sets up the hardware.  Might this
> provide some relief in getting MacBSD (or some other OS) running on the
> IIfx?

I tried booting with "Serial Switch" on my Quadra 950, but didn't get
anything on the serial console.  This may be due to an incorrect value for
SCCRd for the 950 in machdep.h, though -- I haven't actually played with it
that much yet, as I was trying to get the ADB working (talking to the IOP
ROM calls) instead.

--
Jonathan Lennox
lennox@cs.columbia.edu