Subject: Re: Macintosh IIfx
To: Ray McKinney <ray-m@tamu.edu>
From: Jonathan Lennox <lennox@cs.columbia.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/01/1996 02:29:28
On Tue, November 26 1996, "Ray McKinney" wrote to "port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG" saying:

> Why is it that the IIfx is not on the "working models" list?
>
> What makes it so different from the IIcx or IIvx, or has just no one gotten
> their hands on an fx to try it out?

The IIfx has two essential weirdnesses:
* The I/O Processors (two 6502s) which control the ADB, Floppy, and Serial
  Ports
* Some rather weird SCSI chip.

The IOPs are the same as the ones on the Quadra 900 and 950 (and the WGS 95
which is the same machine as the 950 I believe) -- I've been working on
getting them working on my 950, by slogging through disassembled listings of
the relevant ROM code, but I haven't been sucessful yet.

If/once I do get them working I'd be curious if my kernel saw the ADB on the
IIfx, but you still probably wouldn't have a SCSI driver from what I
understand.

Incidentally, for our various Mac driver gurus out there, it looks like I've
got all the IOP Manager traps and lowmem globals set up for the MRG, but the
problem I'm having now is that I can't figure out what my interrupt vector
should be or how to turn it on.  Can someone give a quick introduction to
Macintosh interrupts, and try to point me at what MacOS low-memory (or
wherever) tables I should be staring at to receive enlightenment?

--
Jonathan Lennox
lennox@cs.columbia.edu