Subject: Re: Serial Console Ignorance
To: Tristan Doherty <ristar@abacom.com>
From: synapse <synapse@gim.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/29/1996 23:22:23
>  I just got 1.2 installed on my IIcx/20MB RAM and I'm trying to get the
>modem (an *OLD* Abaton 1200 bps Interfax) running. So I have to get the
>serial cosole working. Unfourtunately, I haven't had any luck in finding
>any documentation on getting it set up. So when I check the "Serial
>Console" box in the booter and try to boot, it gives me the following
>message before it even clears the screen:

as far as i see it, you don't want a serial console. you want a serial
console if you're running off a headless mac (i.e. mac without monitor or
incompatible video card). you simply want to be able to log in over the
modem to your machine via a serial connection.
hmm, i don't know exactly what you'd be doing for modem inits, because the
modem should be hanging up after each session, and wants an "ATA" (for
auto-answer). i'm pretty sure theres a dip switch on the modem (some
modems, anyway) that would set ATA on permanently. if you have a serial
link (i.e. printer cable) you don't need this, but in this case, you don't
want that.
back to the NetBSD setup...
in /etc/ttys, look for a line that looks like:

     tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" unknown off secure

first off, decide whether you want your modem or printer port connected.
modem port is tty00, and printer port is tty01. they have separate lines in
/etc/ttys. to make it active, change the "std.9600" to "std.1200", and
"unknown" to your terminal type (e.g. "vt100"), change the off to on (i
guess this simply means you are activating the serial port) and keep secure
as it is. if it's insecure, you won't be able to log in through tty00 as
root.
your final line should look something like:

     tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.1200" vt100 on secure

After restarting, you should be seeing a "NetBSD/mac68k login:" think go
through the serial port. good luck.
  - a