Subject: Re: Mac Plus & BSD?
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/29/1996 17:45:50
>Does anyone have any experience trying to get BSD to run on a Mac Plus?
>I have one at home and thought it might be neat to run a tiny UNIX
>machine. (It is a standard plus w/ 1MB RAM and 40MB HD.)

The MacPlus doesn't have the necessary hardware to run NetBSD, but it
*does* run Minix, although I'm not so sure it will run in 1Meg - it will
run in 4Meg for sure.  Minix is a UNIX look-alike application that runs
under MacOS and gives the user the look and feel of UNIX. Many UNIX
applications run under Minix including program development tools.
Unfortuately it doesn't support any networking, probably because it must
rely on the host MacOS.

Sorry I don't have the URL handy, but I'm sure a Web search will turn it
up.  If not I'd be happy to make my copy available.

BTW, Minix won't run on a system with 32-bit addressing enabled, so this
is one thing that the MacPlus can do easily that many other Macs can't
without difficulty.

-bob