Subject: Intvid Update
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/29/1996 12:29:03
Ok, sorry it's been taking me so long. My last few weeks at work were very
late ones and my stupid phone company cut off my internet service too early
so I haven't been able to sup the latest kern changes. Oh, and I've got to
move back to school :) There never seems to be enough time to work on
operating system code!

The intvid code is in the debugging stage. I'm just waiting to sup the fix for
the memory mapping problem. That, and a problem converting CLUT values seem
to be all that's standing in the way for IIvx video right now.

As far as other machines go, I'm adding some generalizing routines that try
to scan the fake SResource at the top of ROM to figure out what type of video
is on the machine. Unfortunately, there seem to be some machines that have
*two* format blocks where the one you would expect to work is actually
invalid. Things like this make me wonder if I should just do a case statement
on the machine type :)

Here's an interesting tidbit: I was working with a Centris 650 to figure out
DAFB video when I ran across 0x50f02000 which I thought was the monitor ID
register. Turns out it's the power register. Normally it contains 0x6 and
it seems that putting any value in that shuts off the 3rd bit (like 0x8 or 0x3)
shuts off the machine's power. :) Not too important to intvid but I thought
I'd mention it.

The Centris just won't give up its secrets about the DAFB. I may have to
leave this code to somebody with more time after I release the initial 2.x
code.