Subject: Re: X library troubles - fvwm help
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Johan Carlsson <johanc@fusion.kth.se>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/29/1996 14:59:55
>I was aslo able to get fvwm "running"; however it must need a
>significant amount of configuration since when I initailly ran it there
>were no window controls,  windows could not be dragged...etc.. Basically
>it was interesting looking, but unusable.
>
>If the problems I was seeing sound like a configuration issue would you
>send me a copy of your configuration files?

It is very much matter of configuration (which is one of the nice things
once it's been done). fvwm (and all other wm's I know of) looks for a
config file called .fvwmrc in your home dir, if it doesn't find it it
looks for the file system.fvwmrc in /usr/X11R6/fvwm. The latter file should
be there containing vanilla config parameters. If you do have it it's probably
best to edit it in accordance with your taste, starting with my system.fvwmrc
would take just as much editing. If you don't have it let me know and I'll
mail it to you or put it up for ftp.

You might also want to edit the file xinitrc in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit (or
.xinitrc in your home). The end of mine has been trimmed down to:

# start some nice programs

fvwm &
exec xterm -ls -sb -sl 256 -j -T terminal -geometry 80x32+0+0

I then exit X by typing "exit" in the xterm called "terminal". (I guess you
have already edited it if you got fvwm running). Good luck!

/Johan