Subject: Re: Colorkit kernel boot failure/X problems
To: Dinsdale Piranha <dinsdale@vegas.infi.net>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/29/1996 02:00:54
> >I'd recommend installing a much more recent color kernel (although I
> >cannot >remember where Taras keeps them right at the moment).
>
> Well, if you could give me any pointers to someone who would, or something,
> I'd really be grateful.  :)  The kernel seems to be the root of my
> problems.

After digging around, I found the address:

ftp://ctpa01.mit.edu/pub/ivanenko/macbsd/

It should be in that directory somewhere.  I cannot remember what the
name of the kernel is at the moment, but it should be fairly obvious.

> >Also, Ken Nakata just recently posted that a far more recent color X server has
> >been compiled and should be available (on puma, I think ?).
>
> I've tried using that X server and it won't load up for me.  Errors.  Would
> that be the result of trying to run it without a color kernel (since they
> don't work for me, I've only tried running the new color X server under my
> usual GENERIC 1.2 kernel and it fails)?

Yes, this is the reason for this problem.  The color X server makes grf
calls that _only_ exist in the colorkit kernels.

> >Also, it is quite possible that you have an interrupt problem on your
> >24-bit card.
>
> Aich.
>
> >I'd try to make sure that your screen is in 8-bit mode before booting.
>
> Okay, I'll try that, thanks.
>
>   However, we seem to have a conflict with 24-bit video cards.
>
> >I believe that this problem was fixed in the more recent X servers (like
> >January of this year or so).
>
> That would explain it.  Thanks fer clearin' that up.

Actually, if your card works under normal (i.e. B/W) X under MacBSD,
there really shouldn't be an interrupt problem that you have to deal with.

> >This really depends on how you happen to have started X.
>
> "startx".  Enter.  :)
>
> >If there is a console window, you can often type "exit" in that window and
> >X >will quit.
>
> I don't think I get any console windows.  Just two xterms, xclock, and
> another xterm that's named "login".

Try typing "exit" in the xterm named "login".  That should be the one
that controls the whole process.  If not, you may need to write your own
.xinitrc file which sets things up a little bit better.

> >As a last resort, you can kill the X server process itself with a kill
> >-KILL >signal (although that's a rather nasty way of doing it.
>
> Hmm.  I'll give it a shot; it's better than crashing w/coredump.
>
> Thanks for your time...

Your welcome.  I hope the above helps a little.

Later.