Subject: Re: Colorkit kernel boot failure/X problems
To: Dinsdale Piranha <dinsdale@vegas.infi.net>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/28/1996 23:05:06
> I've installed the 050896 colorkit kernel and have tried to boot with it.
> All of the boot messages come up perfectly fine, exactly as they normally
> do, except when it gets to the line
>
> nubus0 at mainbus0
>
> my machine freezes.  Any ideas what this might mean?  I'm on a IIcx and my
> video card is a plain old NuBus Apple "8-24" card.

I'd recommend installing a much more recent color kernel (although I
cannot remember where Taras keeps them right at the moment).  Also, Ken
Nakata just recently posted that a far more recent color X server has
been compiled and should be available (on puma, I think ?).

Also, it is quite possible that you have an interrupt problem on your
24-bit card.  I'd try to make sure that your screen is in 8-bit mode
before booting.  However, we seem to have a conflict with 24-bit video cards.

> Also, on a side note, I've noticed an odd quirk/bug with X: whenever I move
> my cursor to the lower-righthand corner of the screen, X crashes, dumping
> the core and giving me an error message saying something about "32" and a
> "broken pipe".  I'm totally clueless here, so any insight anyone might be
> able to offer would be greatly appreciated, thanx.

I believe that this problem was fixed in the more recent X servers (like
January of this year or so).

> ALSO, one more X-thing: I know very little about X and am very
> inexperienced about using it.  I decided that to exit out of it, the most
> logical thing to do would be to choose "Exit" from the twm menu, so I did.
> What this does is throw up a bunch of xterms on my screen *WITHOUT WINDOW
> BORDERS* (and I can still type in them...well, the one in front, at least)
> and nothing else.  I'm very confused: how DO you exit X?  Sorry for the
> stupid question, but...

This really depends on how you happen to have started X.  If there is a
console window, you can often type "exit" in that window and X will
quit.  As a last resort, you can kill the X server process itself with a
kill -KILL signal (although that's a rather nasty way of doing it.

Later.