Subject: Colorkit kernel boot failure/X problems
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dinsdale Piranha <dinsdale@vegas.infi.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/28/1996 18:42:05
I've installed the 050896 colorkit kernel and have tried to boot with it.
All of the boot messages come up perfectly fine, exactly as they normally
do, except when it gets to the line

nubus0 at mainbus0

my machine freezes.  Any ideas what this might mean?  I'm on a IIcx and my
video card is a plain old NuBus Apple "8-24" card.

Also, on a side note, I've noticed an odd quirk/bug with X: whenever I move
my cursor to the lower-righthand corner of the screen, X crashes, dumping
the core and giving me an error message saying something about "32" and a
"broken pipe".  I'm totally clueless here, so any insight anyone might be
able to offer would be greatly appreciated, thanx.

ALSO, one more X-thing: I know very little about X and am very
inexperienced about using it.  I decided that to exit out of it, the most
logical thing to do would be to choose "Exit" from the twm menu, so I did.
What this does is throw up a bunch of xterms on my screen *WITHOUT WINDOW
BORDERS* (and I can still type in them...well, the one in front, at least)
and nothing else.  I'm very confused: how DO you exit X?  Sorry for the
stupid question, but...

   ____  _             __     __   "Great spirits have always encountered
  / __ \(_)__  ___ ___/ /__ _/ /__   violent opposition from mediocre