Subject: Re: X library troubles
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Johan Carlsson <johanc@fusion.kth.se>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/28/1996 10:58:04
>Hi,
>        I've just got my IIsi booted in netbsd1.2, and I am trying to run X,
>but have had some problems. When xinit is run, it first had trouble finding
>the /usr/libexec/ld.so file, so I changed the .cshrc to include it in the
>path variable. Next stumbling block was the /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6.1
>file, which it was looking for. I added this folder to the path variable,
>but it still wont recognise it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Been there, done that :-)

The correct path to feed to ldconfig is /usr/X11R6/lib (either in
/etc/rc.local or by typing "ldconfig /usr/X11R6/lib" as root if you don't
want to reboot). As Colin said it's in the faq, only the path is a bit wrong.
See also the manpage on ldconfig. Good luck.

BTW, I can warmly recommend fvwm as an alternative to twm. I found
fvwm-1.24r.tgz somewhere and it worked like a charm for me, can't wait to run
it in 8-bits. A friend of mine who's running another popular Un*x on a 486
dropped his jaw when he saw me running fvwm and some other stuff on a IIcx
with 8 Mb RAM and it didn't swap.

/Johan