Subject: PB5?0 for netbsd
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nathan Parrish <nparrish@best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/28/1996 01:04:33
Okay, so I'm looking to blow some money on a laptop in order to make my 4
hour a day commute time more, um, interesting.  I thought about just getting
a pc and installing netbsd or freebsd, but then I remembered how much I hate
pc architecture and decided to spring for a mac pb of some sort (added bonus:
my roommates will actually be able to use one of my machines for something
other than a handwarmer).
I've searched  through the port-mac68k archive (all 16 megs of it) and I
think I have the general idea of the situation with the 520s, to whit:
they kinda work w/ internal video (no X), though there still seem to be
some problems associated with the FPU-lessness of the 520.
QUESTION #1:  Suppose I got a 520.  Could I install an FPU in it, and if so,
how hard are the buggers to come by?  (if this is a dumb question, please
bear with -- I've been playing with dec hardware for the last 2 years).
Also, "the gentleman from japan" seems to have had quite good luck with his
550c.  However, looking on the product list at product.info.apple.com, I see
no mention of a 550.  QUESTION #2:  What gives?
Also, I see that the internal ethernet as well as the nubus ethernet are
either N or ? on the PB5?0's on the machine-status page.  QUESTION #3:  what
has to happen for ethernet support in these guys?
As I said, I've got 4 hours of commute time a day to kill; working on this
type of thing seems like one of the more productive things I could do.
thanks in advance,

Nathan Parrish