Subject: Re: Macintosh IIfx
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rob Pelkey <mercutio@rpelkey.bates.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/27/1996 22:25:46
On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Scott Reynolds wrote:

> The IIfx has what's known as the SCSI DMA chip, which is different than
> any other SCSI controller that Apple has used.  Also, serial and ADB are
> funneled through special-purpose ICs (called "IOP", or I/O Processors)
> which are not compatible with other Macintosh hardware at the level that
> NetBSD needs to interact with them.

There exists a control panel, "Serial Switch", which turns off the IOP for
the serial chips for compatibility with older drivers which accessed the
hardware directly - it sets a location in the PRAM which apparently
affects how the startup code in ROM sets up the hardware.  Might this
provide some relief in getting MacBSD (or some other OS) running on the
IIfx?

							Rob

--
<!--  Rob Pelkey <rpelkey@bates.edu> - http://www.bates.edu/~rpelkey/  -->
<!--  Professional Web Dude                 "God is dead" - Nietzsche  -->