Subject: colorkit X server updated
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <ken@net5.co.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/27/1996 12:44:28
Hello,

First of all, I apologize to those who've wanted this for a long time.
I finally got around to update the colorkit X server on puma.  The URL
is ftp://puma.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/X/colorkit/Xmacbsd.960512.gz.

NOTE: this is NOT a tar file, but a gzipped executable file.  Cp it
into /usr/X11R6/bin, gunzip it, and ln (or ln -s) it to "Xmacbsd".

Its new feature (well, that is, for you, the users... I implemented it
quite a while ago) is in its grf initialization scheme when you are
running a non-color kernel.

It first tries to initialize grf in 8-bpp mode, and then tries 1-bpp
if 8-bpp fails.  Both attempts use Taras' grf driver ioctl() calls, so
neither will work if you have a GENERIC kernel (or whatever without
Taras' grf driver built in).  The older colorkit server gave up on it
here, but the new server does more: It GUESSES that the running kernel
doesn't have Taras' driver in it, and it ASSUMES that the grf is
already in 1-bpp mode, so it starts in 1-bpp mode.  You'll lose if you
booted NetBSD in other than 1-bpp mode, but you would have lost even
with the older colorkit servers anyway.

A Colorkit Misconception Warning: If you run a kernel with Taras' grf
driver and this server, you don't have to boot NetBSD in any
particular pixel depth.  The server tries 8-bpp first, then 1-bpp if
your video doesn't support 8-bpp no matter in what video mode you
booted.  In other words, X won't run in any other pixel depth even if
you explicitly boot NetBSD in that depth.  Why not support 4-, 16-, or
even 24-bpp modes?  Frankly, that's out of range for my skills, and I
don't personally want them that much.  Sorry.

As my other colorkit servers, it also works around the mmap() bug on
the SE/30 internal video, so even if you don't run Taras' color
kernels, you might still want to get this server if you have trouble
running Scott's servers on your SE/30's internal video.

Have fun, and sorry it took such a long time.

ken