Subject: Re: Min. requirements for BSD for Mac
To: Christopher Steeves <cps@infi.net>
From: Allan 'Norm' Crain <allanc@idea-inc.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/24/1996 12:13:29
On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, Christopher Steeves wrote:
> 	I have been on this mail list for a while dreaming that someone of great
> brilliance would create a port that would run on my humble performa 636...
> Ok, so since that has not happened yet, can someone indulge me with the
> cheapest model Mac out there capable of running the port to the mac 68
> machines (or power mac for that matter).  I really want to start networking
> to PC running X windows and the likes, but my current machine wont do it.
> An FAQ would be my preference, maybe someone could direct me.
> 	I think I can find a cheep machine, I just want to make sure it is
> capable.  Does it need an FPU, MMTU(?) anything else special.

The lowest Mac that can run NetBSD was, last I checked, a Mac II with 4M of
RAM, a 40M hard drive (yes, this can be done. Trust me), and about 4M of RAM
(though perhaps not the 4M and 40M of disk at the same time. But memory's so
cheap now that you can pick up 8M of ram pretty easily). You will need a PMMU
and an FPU (which you might want to buy from Data Memory Systems, who have
very nice cheap prices. http://www.datamem.com/datamem).
Allan "Norm" Crain |  allanc@idea-inc.com  | http://web.idea-inc.com/~allanc
"We'll have fun fun fun 'till my daddy takes the T1 away" --nby@idea-inc.com