Subject: Re: Questions, Quistions, Quostions
To: Aaron Mansheim <a-manshe@runet.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/23/1996 14:12:26

> I haven't really gone looking for help here in a couple of
> months, so I'm full of questions, plus a couple of problems:
>

> Mysteries (in order of importance of solution) --
> I'll describe the first two, and leave the others as one-liners.
>
> When I try to upload a file with FTP, I get "connection reset by peer".
>   When I'm hooked up to campus with PPP, I can cd and dir OK,
>   I think I can download, but I can't upload. If I use the remote
>   FTP server, uploading seems to hang. I can't ^C but I can ^Z.
>   After a while I get "Connection reset by peer" and the uploaded file,
>   which is in fact created, turns out to have zero size.
> 	If I use my FTP server via a telnet session on the remote host,
>   the situation is similar, although the message is in different words.

This problem sounds very weird. To figure it out, I think you'd need to talk
to a tcpip guru to figure this one out. :-(

> PostScript printing usually works the *second* time -- buffer is overrun?
>   I'm using Bill Studenmund's ghostscript setup for DeskWriter (540),
>   using the cdjplus driver. But whether I lpr -Pps or whether
>   I make PCL code with gs and lpr -Pcdjplus.raw, the first time
>   a couple lines of print come out OK, to be followed by alternating
>   formfeeds and lines of character-mode garbage. If I lprm that
>   and turn the printer off and on again to clear its buffer,
>   then resubmit, the job prints fine.

Hmm. Maybe I should point out I'm not really supporting the gs distribution.
It's there, and it works for me. But gs has gotten to version 4.X while this
distribution os 2.6.X based. Maybe the new printers have slightly different
codes? Oh, the DW 540 probably should not be used with the cdjplus. Try the
cdj500 or cdj550. Probably the cdj500.

What happens if you just power-cycle the printer after NetBSD boot? Also,
I think you had problems with the little printer initialization string I
recomended installing. Maybe you should leave it out; it might put the
printer in a goofy mode which chokes on the graphics.

> 	Some nuisance factors (pure whining): The bad printing seems
>   optimized to foul sheets of papers as quickly as possible; if I
>   use lpr -Pps, then when gs is done and submits the job, as user I
>   don't have the privilege to remove it from the queue, so I have to
>   su; if I make a PCL file, it's several times the size of the
>   PostScript; if I turn off the printer to stop it from fouling
>   pages, the computer pouts until I turn the printer back on
>   (probably same thing would happen if I yanked the paper out).

The DeskWriters are efficient text printers, and bit graphics are a lot of
bytes. Same thing happens to me whenever my printer hickups (though much
les frequently than you've seen).

What kernel are you using?

(can't help much w/ the other Q's)

> General questions (no order, answers appreciated but not desperately needed)
>
> Can I study NetBSD/Mac68k-relevant code and documentation on the web,
>   without installing it all on my machine?

Not really, but you can download -current bit-by-bit to see what particular
parts are doing.

> If I buy one CD-ROM to use under MacBSD, what should it be?

I think any SCSI CD-ROM is fine.

> The binary emulation subsystem lets me run 680x0 binaries from
>   iBCS2, Linus, OSF/1, SunOS, SVR4, and Solaris operating systems,
>   is that right? I know I can run NetBSD-Amiga binaries.
>   What other kinds of binaries can I run?

All these emulations are for same-cpu OS's. I don't know if any emulation
other than SunOS has been tried under mac68k. I've got the Linux
emulation working on an i386 at work, and I think the OSF/1 works for the Alpha
port.

Take care,

Bill