Subject: Questions, Quistions, Quostions
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Aaron Mansheim <a-manshe@runet.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/22/1996 23:34:48
I haven't really gone looking for help here in a couple of
months, so I'm full of questions, plus a couple of problems:

Mysteries (in order of importance of solution) --
I'll describe the first two, and leave the others as one-liners.

When I try to upload a file with FTP, I get "connection reset by peer".
  When I'm hooked up to campus with PPP, I can cd and dir OK,
  I think I can download, but I can't upload. If I use the remote
  FTP server, uploading seems to hang. I can't ^C but I can ^Z.
  After a while I get "Connection reset by peer" and the uploaded file,
  which is in fact created, turns out to have zero size.
	If I use my FTP server via a telnet session on the remote host,
  the situation is similar, although the message is in different words.

PostScript printing usually works the *second* time -- buffer is overrun?
  I'm using Bill Studenmund's ghostscript setup for DeskWriter (540),
  using the cdjplus driver. But whether I lpr -Pps or whether
  I make PCL code with gs and lpr -Pcdjplus.raw, the first time
  a couple lines of print come out OK, to be followed by alternating
  formfeeds and lines of character-mode garbage. If I lprm that
  and turn the printer off and on again to clear its buffer,
  then resubmit, the job prints fine.
	Some nuisance factors (pure whining): The bad printing seems
  optimized to foul sheets of papers as quickly as possible; if I
  use lpr -Pps, then when gs is done and submits the job, as user I
  don't have the privilege to remove it from the queue, so I have to
  su; if I make a PCL file, it's several times the size of the
  PostScript; if I turn off the printer to stop it from fouling
  pages, the computer pouts until I turn the printer back on
  (probably same thing would happen if I yanked the paper out).

no .exrc files work, for no reason I can see
Ghostscript doesn't use X fonts - maybe I didn't set regularFonts right?
many X clients don't work for me over PPP - xcalc, netscape, xmosaic, others
PPP requires an su to execute. I had suggestions, but I've forgotten them.
any suggestions for office applications software? (Go back to Mac OS? :)
must setenv LINES in telnet sessions - probably my university's fault
I don't think I have mail transfer set up right

General questions (no order, answers appreciated but not desperately needed)

What are resource (.ad) files all about?
  Can I use xtetris's to make it fit my screen? Without recompiling?
  Why isn't editres like ResEdit?
What's the usual X programmer's API - should I learn Xlib?
Can I study NetBSD/Mac68k-relevant code and documentation on the web,
  without installing it all on my machine?
I think BSD keeps track of when files have been backed up.
  Since printing is my only available means of archival storage,
  can it keep track of what's been printed?
How can I best use X over PPP without exposing my display to abuse?
If I buy one CD-ROM to use under MacBSD, what should it be?
What do I need to know about the supposed insecurity of Berkeley
  networking programs, such as rsh?
Where can I get xcalendar, or some other calendar that
  doesn't require libraries I don't have/want and will fit on my screen?
The binary emulation subsystem lets me run 680x0 binaries from
  iBCS2, Linus, OSF/1, SunOS, SVR4, and Solaris operating systems,
  is that right? I know I can run NetBSD-Amiga binaries.
  What other kinds of binaries can I run?
How do I get my machine to access the disk less?
  It's an SE/30 5/170, running X, with 20 Mb swap. I might
  use a 40 Mb external drive for swap space, if that would help.
--
Aaron Mansheim, MS exp '97, Computational Sciences, Radford University
<mailto:a-manshe@runet.edu> <http://www.runet.edu/~a-manshe/>