Subject: Re: Mouse Buttons under X
To: Philip Schielke <phisch@cs.rice.edu>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/21/1996 00:20:02
On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Philip Schielke wrote:

> I have a standard one button mac mouse, and am trying to change how
> the second and third mouse buttons are accessed under X windows.  I
> couldn't find any info in the FAQ about this.

That's mainly because this isn't something you can change; it's emulated
by the NetBSD kernel.

> I'd like to change it
> from Option-Arrow (right or left) to clicking the mouse button while
> holding down a modifier key.

Well, one of the biggest problems with that is that this actually means
something.  In an xterm, hold down ctrl while you click the mouse
button...

> If this is not possible, can I change it
> to Command-Arrow?  (I don't have an option key on the right side of my
> keyboard).

Hmm.  Doesn't the option/alt key on the left side of the keyboard work?
(I realize this makes it a two handed operation...)  Generally, though,
the Command key is mapped to the Meta key, which is another useful key for
X apps, which is likely while it was chosen in that manner.  Also, we
don't differentiate the left and right ctrl/opt/cmd keys.

I'm not sure we have a good answer for you. :-(

--scott