Subject: Re: device not configured?
To: Jamie Le Tual <j_letua@alcor.concordia.ca>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/19/1996 22:18:16

> So I took the advice given regarding the read-only file system, and so
> now I'm ready to boot into multi user mode.  The boot routine, however,
> chokes near the end, telling me that the device /dev/ttye0 isn't
> configured, then responds to nothing I type after that. What gives? I

You've got two things going on at once. They both stem from the fact you're
using serial console but /etc/ttys's is configured for a monitor.

1)

> zsc0 at obio0 chip type 0
> zstty0 at zsc0 channel 0 (console)

That part says your console's on the serial port. But the default serial
port line in /etc/ttys (tty00) is "off". Turn it to "on" (it's about
the 4th column over. And make sure there's a getty line set to the
same baud rate you're using (9600). Should be by default.

That's why nothing replied to your keypresses. Nothing was listening.

2)

> Nov 19 13:46:32 hyde getty[93]: /dev/ttye0: Device not configured

Since you're using a serial consle, internal video was not configured
(as it or adb might well break NetBSD). But since the ttye0 line was "on",
init tried to run getty on it, failing as it wasn't there. It used to be
that'd crash the computer. :-(

Take care,

Bill