Subject: connecting via ppp
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chuck Browne/Gena Bulleri-Browne <chuck@Radix.Net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/18/1996 20:09:31
Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for all the work in getting NetBSD working for the 040
machines! I've got a Quadra 660av working nicely with NetBSD - it would be
perfect
if I had an X server and a larger disk, but g++ I'm happy with...

My question - I've been trying to connect to my ISP via pppd, and while I think
I understand how to set up pppd correctly, I can't get it to communicate
with my modem, a USR Sportster 33.6k. Should the default hardware handshaking
config for the modem be good enough?

A related question - after a couple of attempts to start pppd, I tried
using cu to at least talk to the modem and get it's state, but NetBSD
reported that I had locked
the port. How do I unlock the port? (I didn't see a lock file written anywhere).

What I think I need is some sort of stty command to set the port, and
anything special that I have to tell the modem in order for it to work...

Thanks for any help,,

Chuck